Get out of the taco box and INTO THE BURRITO BOWL, y’all!
These are my new favorite dish because they’re simple, but the homemade burrito bowls make your guests feel special– and you can eat the whole thing without a fork, a knife or a plate!
This month is National Beef Month and Georgia Beef Month, and I’ve partnered with the Georgia Beef Board and the North Carolina Cattlemen’s Association to create some outstanding beef recipes in May. Twist my arm, why don’t you….you know I’m a low-carb lover and beef is something I crave for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Believe it or not, 3oz of lean beef only has 160 calories so you can power your day with protein and won’t get that dreaded snack attack mid-morning.
For the burrito bowl, mix and match your favorite toppings– from sour cream to guacamole and black beans. If you have a crowd coming over, it’s awesome to set up a “burrito bar” and let people help themselves and build their own bowls. I cooked New York strip medium rare and then diced it up into bite size pieces for the mini burrito bowls, but feel free to change it up with another cut of steak– or even ground beef with taco seasoning.
Click here for a look at the burrito bowls live on WTVM in Columbus, GA!
- taco size flour tortillas (corn tortillas don't hold their shape as well)
- sliced New York strip steak, cooked medium rare
- Mexican rice
- black beans
- roasted corn
- chopped cherry tomatoes
- chopped jalpenos (seeds removed)
- cotija cheese (or Mexican crumbling cheese)
- Hellman's Chipotle mayo
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray muffin tins with cooking spray and press tortillas into tins. Sides of the tortillas will fold inward a little-- just press them to the side and they'll end up in a cool shape.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until hardened and slightly browned.
- Layer with rice, beans, corn, guacamole and assorted toppings in whatever order you prefer.
- Drizzle with chipotle mayo.
- *To make your own chipotle mayo, mix 2 Tb adobo sauce from a can of chipotles into 3/4 cup mayo. Add 1 Tb honey and stir to combine.