I’m all about texture when it comes to fish dishes, which is why I typically add a bit of encrusted this or nutty that to my fish. I want some crunch to contrast the tender.
If you’re dieting, look away now! I’m not gonna lie– this dish is rich. It ain’t low carb and there are a few steps involved. But it’s soooo worth it. A show-stopper for any dinner party.
There are basically 3 layers you’re working with: The puff pastry, the spinach and garlic, and the salmon with remoulade. Make that 4. The whipped dijon cream makes it oh-so-decadent. It makes a beautiful presentation when you serve the puff pastry packets cut open to reveal the gorgeous pink salmon inside with a hint of green spinach peeking out. It’s worth cheating on your diet for this!
Salmon in Puff Pastry with Whipped Dijon Cream
- 4 Salmon filets
- Puff pastry sheets
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 Tb olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 3 Tb srirachi
- 1 Tb honey
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tb dijon mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- chopped fresh dill (optional)
Whipped Dijon Cream
- Saute spinach and fresh chopped garlic in olive oil until wilted. Hit it with a pinch of kosher salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375
- Cut out rectangles of puff pastry that are larger than each salmon filet. Top puff pastry with spinach mixture-- spread out evenly across, leaving 1/2 an inch on all sides of pastry. Then put salmon filet on top of spinach.
- Combine ingredients and spread a couple spoonfuls of the remoulade on top of salmon.
- Put another rectangle of puff pastry on top of the salmon and pinch down the sides to seal the fish inside the dough.
- Brush the top of the puff pastry salmon packets with egg wash.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes uncovered. (My oven runs hot, so I lightly covered up the pastry with foil when it got browned after about 15 min.)
- While salmon is cooking, stir dijon mustard into heavy whipping cream. Using a hand mixer, beat on high for about 2 minutes until peaks form. Add in fresh dill if desired.
- Top dijon cream onto salmon pastry packets before serving.
For the spinach bed
For the pastry
For the remoulade